RHA to replace Target Takeover with Bed Bath & Beyond campus pop-up shop

The Residence Hall Association will nix the long-standing Target Takeover tradition and replace it with a Bed Bath & Beyond pop-up shop in District House in August.

The RHA-sponsored Target Takeover, in which students were bused to a Target store in Columbia Heights during the first week of the academic year to shop for residence hall products, fizzled because of changes within Target’s management and its partnership with a third-party planning service, which affected the logistics of the event last fall, RHA President Rachel Metz said.

“After any event, we carefully review its success and value for the residents including considering feedback from a diverse body of stakeholders,” she said in an email. “As part of our mission to welcome residents to campus and facilitate a smooth transition to residence hall living, we are constantly looking for ways to strengthen our programming to best impact residents.”

Metz said the pop-up shop is the product of about a year’s worth of research and planning. The mid-Atlantic college coordinator for Bed Bath & Beyond initially reached out to RHA last year and gave a presentation on campus last September.

“With a shop right here on campus, students and families do not have to consider transportation or shipping during their move-in experience,” Metz said. “The convenience of location allows for students and their families to shop for any living need while saving time and money.”

The pop-up shop will feature items “catered to college living,” Metz said, after gathering input from RHA and market research. Previously, Target Takeover allowed students to shop through all departments of the store.

“The shop is a great way to access everything you need to start the year in your room successfully from a central location on campus,” she said.

The shop will be open on August 26 and 27 on the second basement level of District House.

“We hope to grow this event in years to come and think that the pop-up shop is a great way to engage with students, especially freshmen, at the beginning of the school year,” Metz said.