Pilot program to offer treatment for students facing drug and alcohol sanctions

Updated: July 12, 2017 at 7:49 p.m.

Students facing drug or alcohol violations will now be able to enter a University-sponsored rehabilitation program rather than face disciplinary action, according to a University release Friday.

The pilot program “Pathways to Recovery,” will debut this fall and aims to promote recovery for students who may otherwise face sanctions from the Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities for “problematic decision-making related to alcohol and other substances,” the release states.

Danielle Lico, the associate dean of students for student administrative services, spearheaded the program’s creation and will implement it through the Division of Student Affairs. Lico said many students who suffer from substance abuse problems could benefit more from a lifestyle program than disciplinary sanctions.

“The program is designed to provide a structure that holds students to a higher level of accountability, while also requiring them to do some work around recovery programs,” Lico said in the release.

Students facing “high-level” SRR sanctions will be eligible to apply to the program. It will not offer medical treatment, but participants will be able to craft their own individual recovery plan addressing needs like life skills development or academic progress, which will last for a minimum of four months. They will also be matched with adult mentors who are in long-term recovery and who may be University faculty, staff or alumni or a District parent, according to the release.

While the program is available by application, students who have been arrested, participated in violence, property destruction or sexual misconduct or supplied alcohol to minors will not be eligible. Those who qualify for inpatient care or whose abuse “affects the wider community” will also be ineligible, the release states.

“The ideal person for this program is someone who knows they’ve got a problem with alcohol or other substances, is committed to recovery and doesn’t necessarily want to take time off from school,” Lico said in the release. “We hope we can provide students who have faced these types of challenges with a framework and structure where they can explore what recovery may look like for them while still being in school, as opposed to being suspended.”

The announcement comes as the University prepares to host the National Collegiate Recovery Conference, focusing on helping college students struggling with substance abuse, this week.