Dish of the Week: Bistro Bis’s tarte aux pommes

The+tarte+aux+pommes+at+Bistro+Bis%2C+located+at+15+E+St.%2C+uses+fresh+apples%2C+which+they+caramelize+by+baking+in+the+oven+for+15+minutes+in+a+light+pastry+dough.+
Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor
The tarte aux pommes at Bistro Bis, located at 15 E St., uses fresh apples, which they caramelize by baking in the oven for 15 minutes in a light pastry dough.

Bistro Bis, a swanky French restaurant nestled in Capitol Hill, will transport you into the City of Lights.

The bistro offers modern twists on French classics like salade lyonnaise ($13.50), steak frites ($38) and beef bourguignon ($31.50). Although the entrées at Bistro Bis are pricy, the splurge is worth it for a treat yourself meal.

The white tablecloth restaurant, located at 15 E St., is often bustling but offers a quaint and cultural feel with their canonical French cooking.

You can find Washington’s political elite dining there on any given night, so you know it’s the place to be.

After your meal, make sure to save room for dessert. Their tarte aux pommes ($11), also known as an apple tart for non-French speakers, is the most delectable dish on their menu.

Bistro Bis uses fresh apples, which they caramelize by baking in the oven for 15 minutes in a light pastry dough. The apples then take on a rich, sweet flavor that will force you to scrap your plate clean.

The pastry dough is a work of art. It is baked to perfection, coming out of the oven just the right shade of golden brown. The folds of the flaky pastry dough protect the sweet apples and the combination will melt in your mouth.

The tarte is topped with luscious crème fraîche and calvados sauce, which is a cider made with apples or pears. The crème fraîche enhances the richness of the apples with its creamy texture, while the calvados sauce works to enhance the fruity flavor.

Overall, the textures and flavors in this dish blend together perfectly to create a mouthwatering dessert.

The tarte aux pomme is so authentic that you’ll be surprised when you look out the window and see the Capitol Building instead of the Arc De Triomphe.