Veterans office director quietly left for military duty in October

Victoria Pridemore, associate director of the Office of Military and Veteran Student Services left for active military duty last October.
Photo courtesy of Victoria Pridemore.

GW’s top veterans affairs official has been off-campus for the last eight months after being called up for military service, a University spokeswoman confirmed last week.

Victoria Pridemore, associate director of the Office of Military and Veteran Student Services left for active military duty last October. The office informed students who worked with Pridemore that she was leaving temporarily and told them which officials they should contact in her absence, University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar said.

She declined to say which officials have been filling Pridemore’s role while she is away.

Csellar said the University could not release details about Pridemore’s location or mission because only military officials are allowed to release that information. She said officials are “hopeful she is able to return soon,” but don’t have updates on when her service will end.

“We applaud and appreciate our employees who make a commitment to serving in our armed forces,” she said in an email.

Pridemore is in the Virginia Army National Guard serving as a platoon sergeant for the 29th Infantry Division based in Fort Belvoir, Va. She has been deployed to both Iraq and Afghanistan during her military career, according to the veterans office website.

The University did not publicly announce Pridemore’s departure in October. Csellar declined to say why an announcement was not made.

Pridemore, who took over the role in 2014, oversees a collection of career, academic and support programs for students who are current or former members of the military.