SA cuts double-sided printing costs

Students will pay less when they opt for black-and-white double-sided printing starting next month, the Student Association said Monday.

The price for each side of a double-sided print job will be reduced from $0.07 to $0.06 at all WEPA kiosks beginning July 1, while the cost of a single-sided print job will increase from $0.07 to $0.08. The change will potentially save as many as 600,000 pages of paper, according to an email from the SA sent to students.

“The discussion regarding price change for Colonial Printing began as part of an effort to promote sustainable behavior on campus,” the statement read.

The SA will also allocate $1,200 for printing cards next year given to students with financial needs. The cards will be available at The Store, the University’s anonymous food pantry, throughout the academic year, according to the email.

Student leaders first proposed reducing double-sided printing costs in February to decrease paper use at the University and save students money. The initiative garnered support from officials in the Office of Sustainability, who said at the time that paper cutbacks were “critical” to reducing waste at GW.

The SA worked with the sustainability office and Academic Technologies to put the price change into effect, according to the email.

“I’m proud that my administration has been able to support their efforts to make this sustainability-promoting change a reality,” SA President Peak Sen Chua said.