College Republicans, Democrats issue joint statement condemning Alexandria shooting

The GW College Democrats and College Republicans issued a joint statement Wednesday condemning a shooting at an Alexandria, Va. baseball field where GOP members of Congress were practicing.

“Today we come together as two organizations, putting aside politics, to make it explicitly clear that this is never tolerable,” the statement read. “Physical acts of violence threaten the very premise of our democracy.”

The shooting sent five people, including House Majority Whip Rep. Steve Scalise, R-La., Capitol Police officers and congressional staffers, to local hospitals. Two people involved were transported to GW Hospital, where one died and the other was in critical condition.

The attack occurred as GOP members practiced for an annual charity baseball between members of Congress. The joint statement encouraged community members to “continue to support” the game, which will go on as planned Thursday evening.

“College Republicans and Democrats remain committed to working together to strengthen open dialogue on campus and in the community,” the statement read.

Both organizations also issued individual statements denouncing the shooting Wednesday.

“We thank Capitol Police for acting diligently today and every day to protect our elected officials,” the College Democrats’ statement read.

In a Facebook post, the College Republicans said members were “deeply saddened and concerned” about the attack.

“In today’s often tumultuous and highly-partisan times, inciting violence is never the answer,” the post read.