Weekend outlook – Embrace the District with food and festivals

Courtesy of flickr user Mr.TinDC used under CC BY-ND 2.0 license
Local residents celebrating at last year’s annual Columbia Heights neighborhood festival. Check out the 12th annual festival this weekend that will span two blocks on 11th Street.

Explore D.C. this weekend through festivals that celebrate food, music, culture and D.C. itself.

Friday

Jonathan Safran Foer

Kick off your weekend with literature and discussion. Enjoy a free book talk by award-winning author Jonathan Safran Foer as he discusses his newly released third novel, “Here I Am.” The book chronicles the lives of the Bloch family as they deal with their own family turmoil alongside political problems in the Middle East.

Politics and Prose, 5015 Connecticut Ave., NW. 7 p.m. Free.

Saturday

Columbia Heights Day

Celebrate the Columbia Heights neighborhood during the 12th annual neighborhood festival that will span two blocks on 11th Street. The festival includes a petting zoo, beer garden, morning yoga, zumba workshops, adult tricycle races, a pie eating contest and live music and dance performances. In addition to the activities that go on throughout the day, area food and beverage vendors will set up shop at the festival, so it’s the perfect opportunity to sample tasty, new treats. The event is meant to highlight D.C. residents, neighborhood schools and local restaurants in Columbia Heights.

11th Street and Park Road, NW. 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Free.

Sunday

Around the World Cultural Food Festival

The largest annual food festival in the D.C. area for diverse, authentic living traditions from around the world is happening this weekend on the National Mall. The two-day event under the Washington Monument offers chances to eat, dance, shop and learn about the various vibrant cultures from more than a dozen different countries. The countries are each represented by one local restaurant and will offer food that’s available for purchase. As you eat, there will be performances by folk singers and dances from various countries and a cultural fashion show that will highlight traditional fashion of various countries.

Washington Monument, 2 15th St., NW. 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Free.