Lobbyist injured in Alexandria shooting upgraded to serious condition at GW Hospital

Updated: June 15, 2017 at 4:48 p.m.

A lobbyist wounded in an attack against Congressional Republicans in Alexandria, Va. was upgraded to serious condition at GW Hospital Thursday afternoon.

Matthew Mika, a District-based lobbyist for Tyson Foods improved from critical to serious condition, hospital spokeswoman Susan Griffiths said. She said the hospital wold not be releasing further information.

Mika’s family released a statement saying he was shot several times in the chest and arm and underwent surgery at the hospital Wednesday, USA Today reported.

The family said he is conscious, but requires medical equipment to breathe and will need more surgery, according to USA Today.

Mika was one of two people involved in the shooting to be transported to GW Hospital Wednesday morning. Griffiths said Wednesday that one of the individuals had died. She declined to release the identity of the individual, but only the suspected shooter, 66-year-old Illinois resident James Hodgkinson, had died as a result of the shooting as of Thursday afternoon, according to multiple media reports.

At least five people were hospitalized after a gunman opened fire on a baseball field where GOP members of Congress were practicing shortly after 7 a.m. Wednesday, CNN reported.

House Majority Whip Rep Steve Scalise, R-La., was shot in the hip and taken to MedStar Washington Hospital Center, where he underwent surgery and is in critical condition, according to a release from the hospital.