Travel to these local neighborhoods when feeling homesick

The Class of 2021 will be moving to the District this fall. If you are missing home once you get here, these local neighborhoods will remind you of home.

Moving to a new city is never easy, and you’re bound to feel some homesickness in your first few weeks of college. Luckily, D.C. has a variety of neighborhoods to remind you of home.

If you’re from New England, head to Georgetown
The minute you step into Georgetown, you’ll feel as if you traveled north to New England. It’s only a 20 minute walk from campus, so you won’t have to travel far to keep your homesickness at bay. The historic row houses and peaceful tree-lined streets will resemble home. When you walk down to the waterfront, it’ll remind you of the picturesque seaside towns overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. Right off of M Street, you’ll find Luke’s Lobster, which serves up classic, savory lobster rolls and creamy, warm clam chowder just like you’d find back in the Northeast. It’s owned by Maine natives, so you know it’s authentic.

Kiana Robertson | Senior Staff Photographer

If you’re from an East Coast city, head to Chinatown
The hustle and bustle of Chinatown will remind you of New York City or Philadelphia and is only a few stops away on the red line. While you’re there, step into the Smithsonian American Art Museum if you’re missing the Metropolitan Museum of Art. You’ll find beautiful paintings by artists Edward Hopper and Georgia O’Keefe and can escape to a bright and breezy courtyard. If you’re craving some sophisticated fare, swing by Oyamel or Jaleo for some authentic tapas with a modern twist created by chef José Andrés. Take in a play at the National Theatre if you’re missing Broadway, which brings in touring Broadway shows all year long.

Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor

If you’re from the South, head to Capitol Hill
If you’re missing home, just go southeast of Foggy Bottom to Capitol Hill. When you step off the metro at the Capitol South station, the colorful houses will bring you back to your southern roots. Stop in at Barrel, a rustic Southern bar, and eat some delicious, southern comfort food like fried chicken, buttermilk biscuits and smoked brisket. If you’re in the neighborhood on a Sunday, stroll through Eastern Market, a quaint flea market with everything from birdhouses to tapestries. It’ll feel just like King Street in Charleston.

If you’re from out West, head to Adams Morgan
With hip restaurants, bars and murals, Adams Morgan will remind you of the Western part of the country. It’s only about a 15-minute Uber ride from campus, so you can get there easily when you’re missing home. Stop in at El Tamarindo for some authentic Mexican food, which is a rarity in the District. With their chips and guacamole, El Tamarindo will make you feel like you’re back in SoCal or the Rockies in no time. Continue down 18th Street and you’ll find Tryst, a coffee shop filled with aromatic coffee and live music. The number of hipsters discussing their “refined” music taste here will make you feel as if you never left home.

Ethan Stoler | Contributing Photo Editor

If you’re from the Midwest, head to the Foxhall
Foxhall is the neighborhood that houses GW’s Mount Vernon Campus. After a 15 minute ride on the Mount Vernon Express, you’ll arrive in Foxhall. Filled with enormous houses and large parks that’ll help you forget you’re just minutes from downtown. Glover Archbold Park is right across from the Vern and has miles of trails for hiking, biking and strolling. Take a three and a half mile hike around the park and observe the sights and sounds of the multiple streams that run through the park. The plentiful, wide open spaces will surely have you reminiscing of home.