Most unconcerning campus crimes this year

Although you, and more likely your parents, may be nervous about living in the city, not all the crimes on campus are cause for concern.

As part of its coverage, The Hatchet reports on crime activity throughout the school year, including incidents from alcohol and drug violations to theft, destruction and burglary all reported in the GW crime log.

From calling police officers to open a safe with drugs to sitting in an unknown empty car while inebriated, some documented crimes have unexpectedly entertaining background stories.

Here are the least noteworthy, but most entertaining, crimes of the 2016–17 school year:

Remove your “leafy green substance” before calling to cops

Drug Law Violation
Thurston Hall
9/11/16 – 4:59 p.m.
Case closed

UPD responded to a call to open a safe. The officers opened the safe and observed in plain view a green leafy substance and drug paraphernalia. After a search was conducted, drugs, cash and pills were found. UPD arrested the student, who was transported to the Metropolitan Police Department station.

– Closed by arrest.

Not my car

Liquor Law Violation/Disorderly Conduct/Intoxication/Unlawful Entry of A Motor Vehicle
Public Property on Campus (2200 Block of I Street)
4/22/2017 – 9:25 p.m.
Case closed

UPD officers responded to a report of an intoxicated male subject in a car he did not own. EMeRG transported him to the GW Hospital emergency room for medical evaluation, and the individual was then barred from GW property.

– Subject barred.

Sober cone hunting

Theft, Liquor Law Violation
Academic Center (Breezeway)
4/8/2017 – 3:03 a.m.
Case closed

UPD officers saw an intoxicated male with a D.C. government parking cone in his possession. The student successfully completed the field sobriety test and was sent on his way.

– Referred to Division of Student Affairs.

Bullet down

Weapons Violation
Old Main
10/18/2016 – 1 p.m.
Case closed

Both UPD and MPD responded to a report of a staff member leaving a bullet on her desk. The staff member said she forgot the bullet was in her purse and did not know what to do with it when she emptied her purse at work. MPD officers took the bullet and issued a report.

– Referred to MPD.

Pot problems

Destruction of Property/Vandalism
Public Property on Campus (800 Block of 21st Street NW)
10/28/2016 – Unknown
Case open

UPD responded to the scene of two large flower pots flipped over on the sidewalk. There were no leads at the time of publication in early November.

– Open case.