Coffee shops across the District to satisfy your caffeine craving

Compass Coffee, located at 1776 I St. NW, offers 10 coffee mixtures from all over the globe, so you’ll be sure to find something perfect for your taste buds.

College students are stereotypically known to be fueled by coffee.

Although the connection between coffee and college might be exaggerated, you’ll definitely encounter a few mornings where you can’t get through the day without it. Here are four coffee houses on campus and around the District for when you need a caffeine boost.

For a quick pick-me-up: Peet’s Coffee
Ground floor of District House

The Starbucks below Gelman Library can be busier than Grand Central Station. Avoid the masses of caffeine-craving students and spend your GWorld at Peet’s Coffee in District House for a quick pick-me-up during the week.

To quench your thirst, try Peet’s “javiva,” which is a blended ice coffee refreshment, tea or hot chocolate. If you only have time for a few sips before class, try one of their four cold brews – Baridi Black, Almond Milk, Coffee Au Lait or Dark Chocolate ($3.50-$4.50) – which are served in an airtight bottle to throw in your backpack. If you’re hungry, Peet’s bakes a variety of snacks, ranging from fresh pastries to warm sandwiches. Conveniently located near the center of campus, Peet’s is an efficient and delicious place to charge you up and prepare for the day ahead.

Open Monday through Saturday from 6 a.m. to 10 p.m., Sunday 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.

For a top notch artisan blend: Compass Coffee
1776 I St. NW

With 10 unique coffee mixtures from all over the globe, you’re sure to find something perfect for your taste buds at Compass Coffee. A map of the United States comprised of the respective license plates from each state and tables adorned by little succulent plants welcome you to the shop.

Their coffee comes from farms as far as Guatemala and Indonesia, which provides for a variety of unparalleled flavors. Their homemade teas – ranging from Moroccan Mint to Lavender Earl Grey – are available for those looking for a less bitter refreshment. Colonies of high counters and low tables dot the fairly small space, while chrome accents and sparse interior decorations keep the vibe cool.

Open all week from 5:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.

For coffee with a side of cuddles: Crumbs and Whiskers
3211 O St. NW

College courses can provide students with a daunting amount of material to learn, but Crumbs and Whiskers combines cat snuggles with coffee for the perfect amount of stress relief. Inspired by “Catmosphere,” a cat cafe in Thailand, Crumbs and Whiskers offers a range of coffees, lattes and teas ($2.50-$4.95). You can also choose from 15 different macaron flavors from Olivia’s Macaron for $3.50 each. The multiple sense-stimulating restaurant is also a pet adoption agency which has coordinated 302 adoptions to date.

Crumbs and Whiskers partnered with Homeward Trails Animal Rescue, which saves cats in overcrowded shelters from euthanasia and connects them with adopters. Your food and drink purchases not only satisfy your cravings and support the shop, but also help fund the cafe’s efforts to connect cats to potential adopters. If you miss your best furry friend from back home, head over to Crumbs and Whiskers.

Open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 1 to 8:30 p.m., Saturday from 9:45 a.m. to 7:45 p.m. and Sunday from 11 a.m. to 7:45 p.m.

To escape the District for a study session: Commonwealth Joe
520 12th St. S Suite 150, Arlington, Va.

If you want to escape the occasionally intimidating lifestyle in the District, then Pentagon City’s coffee house Commonwealth Joe may be the oasis for you. Their special Nitro Cold Brew Coffee ($4.95), originally brought to farmer’s markets in kegs, is offered on tap throughout the day. With 11 different scents of roasted coffee and baked goods weaving together in the air, you’ll have the perfect aroma to study.

The cafe’s artisan-like architecture provides a cozy place to study. The low-key vibe created by the other customers working on their computers allows you to hone in on studying.

Open Monday through Friday 6 a.m. to 6 p.m., Saturday and Sunday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m.