Protesters march for equality during LGBTQ Pride Month

Kiana Robertson | Senior Staff Photographer

Thousands marched through the streets of D.C. Sunday afternoon in solidarity with LGBTQ rights and to raise awareness of issues like disability rights, AIDS and immigrant justice.

The Equality March for Unity and Pride was part of LGBTQ Pride Month and was held in more than 150 cities in the United States and Europe. In D.C., participants gathered near McPherson Square before marching past the White House and toward Capitol Hill.

“We will use the Equality March and sister events across the country to give voice to our concerns and to support, uplift, and bring attention to those in our communities who are targeted due to immigration status, ethnicity, religion, skin color, gender and disability,” the march’s website states.

Protesters held signs with slogans like “Hope will never be silent,” “Live and let love” and “Equality makes sense, covfefe does not.” Attendees also chanted the phrases “Love, not hate, makes America great,” and “Out of the closet, into the streets.”

One demonstrator who marched with his husband said the march was for the benefit of more than just the LGBTQ community.

“We’re here for equal representation for everyone in the U.S.,” he said.

After the march, participants gathered in front of the Capitol Building for a rally where actors and other public figures gave speeches on the importance of coming together to push for progressive change.

Sara Ramirez, an actress best known for her role in the television show “Grey’s Anatomy,” said despite the diversity of the LGBTQ community everyone shared the same struggle.

“Those of us who love more than one sex or gender have many labels but we share the same experience,” she said. “Our very existence threatens heteronormativity. Our struggles are shared and our resilience unrelenting.”

Other speakers expressed concerns that President Donald Trump and his administration may seek to roll back the progress made on LGBTQ rights. Sarah Kate Ellis, president and CEO of GLAAD, an LGBTQ rights organization, said it is up to citizens to speak out against policies that they don’t agree with.

“If the White House refuses to recognize LGBTQ+ Pride Month, let’s show them how it’s done. Be loud,” Ellis said.

Speakers encouraged rally goers to stick together and to stand up for one another to protect the progress that had already been made to give the LGBTQ community the same rights as every other citizen.

Asia Kate Dillon, a cast member of the Netflix series “Orange is the New Black” and the first gender non-binary identifying actor in a major television role, told the crowd that everyone in the audience was marching for more than just themselves. They also marched for the progress that had already been achieved and that was still to come.

“This is a movement that is built on love,” they said. “Why do we march? We march to be visible for ourselves, for those who can’t be and for those who were visible before us.”

Dillon said the primary message of Pride month was that everyone deserved to have the same rights and the ability to be their own person. They said individuals should be able to freely choose what clothes to wear, what bathrooms to use and who to love.

“We all deserve to be free,” they said. “You deserve the right to be able to express yourself without the fear of ridicule or violence.”