Noose found at National Museum of African American History and Culture

A noose was found hanging in a public exhibit at the National Museum of African American History and Culture Wednesday, The Washington Post reported.

The incident comes just weeks after two similar occurrences at D.C. area universities, and it is the second of its kind on Smithsonian grounds in less than a week.

The noose was found in the museum’s Segregation Gallery. U.S. Park Police are investigating the incident, the Post reported.

Police also found a noose hanging from a tree Saturday outside the Hirshhorn Museum, according to the report.

Earlier this month, University President Steven Knapp condemned two similar April incidents at American University and the University of Maryland.

Bananas were found hanging in the shape of nooses on AU’s campus on April 24, marked with the letters “AKA” – an abbreviation for Alpha Kappa Alpha, a predominantly black sorority at the school.

Three days after the AU incident, authorities said a noose had been discovered in a fraternity house at UMD.

At the time, Knapp called the incidents “horrendous” and called on the GW community to unite in solidarity with AU and UMD and reject divisive and hateful acts.

The National Museum of African American History and Culture is located about a mile from the Foggy Bottom campus and opened last September.