Weekend outlook – Explore Broadway’s contributions to the gay rights movement

Photo courtesy of Wikimedia Commons.
At the Lincoln Theatre this weekend, you’ll learn how Broadway contributed to the gay rights movement through song and dance performed by the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington.

If you partied too hard at the unofficial start of summer last weekend, then take it easy this weekend by expressing yourself through paint, learning about Broadway history or listening to classical music over brunch.

Friday

Graffiti Party

ArtJamz Dupont Studio gives you the opportunity to “party like Banksy,” a famous England-based graffiti artist, by painting your own creation onto their studio walls. They will provide tunes and one drink per ticket from the lounge area to get your creativity flowing. If you’re feeling particularly inspired, you can purchase studio time and a canvas afterwards to continue your artistic expression.

ArtJamz Dupont Studio, 1728 Connecticut Ave NW. 6:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. $10.

Saturday

And the Tony goes to…

You may have seen Broadway shows like Kinky Boots and Hedwig and the Angry Itch, but you’ll need to join the Gay Men’s Chorus of Washington for a night that explores the movement behind these famous shows. At this unique performance, you’ll learn how Broadway contributed to the gay rights movement all told through song and dance by the chorus. Sing and dance along to the tunes, while you learn a thing or two at this show that is “like your favorite awards show – only gayer.”

The Lincoln Theatre, 1215 U St NW. Doors open at 7 p.m. Show starts at 8 p.m. $25 – $65.

Sunday

Bagels and Bach

Ease into your Sunday at the classical music concert series, Bagels and Bach. The Provazek Quartet, a traditional quartet composed of two violins, a viola and a cello, will perform this week alongside a light brunch spread. Across the Potomac River, this Sunday morning concert promises to be a relaxing change of pace and a break from the bustling city.

Durant Arts Center, 1605 Cameron St., Alexandria, VA. 11:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. $15.