Wawa, Wegmans to open District locations

Wawa and Wegmans, two popular east-coast chains, will soon be the newest D.C. destinations for hoagie-lovers and supermarket regulars.

Wawa, a convenience store chain based in Pennsylvania, will host an event at the Newseum June 13 to unveil its plans for a new D.C. location, Prince of Petworth, a D.C. neighborhood blog, first reported earlier this month.

A poster advertising the event, leaked to Prince of Petworth, invites guests to join Wawa’s senior leadership as they reveal “the first glimpse of our future Wawa experience and celebrate our entrance into D.C.”

“Our restaurant-style location will feature the best of Wawa’s products and innovations in a casual, inviting setting,” the poster read, according to the report.

A location for the chain has yet to be released to the public, and it is not yet confirmed whether there will be more than one location in the D.C. area. Opening dates for the chain also have not been confirmed.

Wegmans Food Market Inc., a Rochester, N.Y.-based regional grocery chain known for its organic food, will also open at 3900 Wisconsin Ave. NW, according to a May 21 report from the Washington Business Journal.

The supermarket, about a 15-minute drive from the Foggy Bottom Campus and 2.5 miles from the Mount Vernon Campus, will be about half as large as its suburban locations and offer a standalone restaurant above the store, according to the report.

The new site will cut travel time for Wegmans fans at GW in half – currently, the closest Wegmans location is in Lanham, Md., about a 30-minute drive from Foggy Bottom.

The site is expected to open in 2021 at the earliest, according to officials from Roadside Development, one of the owners of the Wisconsin Avenue property.