Year in review: Colonials see fewer improved records than in recent years

Updated: May 23, 2017 at 1:25 p.m.

[gwh_image id=”1033380″ credit=”” align=”none” size=”embedded-img”][/gwh_image]

Yonah Bromberg Gaber | Graphics Editor

Since last August there have been 549 games, matches or meets played between the 27 programs that make up GW athletics.

During the 2016-17 year, the Colonials took home league championships in men’s swimming and diving for the first time in program history and gymnastics for the second time in three seasons.

Of the teams with win-loss records, 10 out of the 14 squads finished with winning records. Six programs finished with a better result than last year, while the other eight didn’t do as well.

Over the past seven years, GW had more than six improved teams all but once (exactly six between 2011-12 and 2012-13).

During the fall, men’s soccer failed to make the postseason and women’s soccer departed the conference tournament after a second-round loss to Dayton. The two soccer teams combined for eight ties this past season, as they both boasted the league’s top defense. Volleyball struggled to maintain its consistency, falling to its worst finish since 2012.

Under first-year coaches Maurice Joseph and Jennifer Rizzotti, neither basketball program matched recent success, winning a combined 14 fewer contests and qualifying for less prestigious tournaments.

Most recently, GW’s baseball and softball teams highlighted the spring with improved performances. Softball recorded a program-high number of wins, while baseball reached its third consecutive A-10 tournament. With five championships since 2011, men’s tennis did not fulfill its expectations, falling in the semifinal of the conference tournament.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction: 
The Hatchet incorrectly reported in the graphic that women’s basketball had 10 wins and 20 losses in the 2016-17 season. They had 20 wins and 10 losses. We regret this error.