CCAS speakers call on graduates to reflect on their education

Former+Student+Association+President+Erika+Feinman+addresses+classmates+at+the+second+CCAS+ceremony+Saturday.+
Olivia Anderson | Photo Editor
Former Student Association President Erika Feinman addresses classmates at the second CCAS ceremony Saturday.

Updated: June 8, 2017 at 6:18 p.m.

Undergraduates from the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences were honored Saturday afternoon at the school’s second commencement ceremony in the Smith Center.

Both students and faculty received awards for their excellence in leadership and education. Speakers reminded the graduates to reflect on their past experiences before taking the skills they have learned into the workforce.

During the ceremony, a protest broke out where three students held a sign that read “GW Protects Rapists,” in response to one of the graduates who received deferred suspension for sexual violence this semester.

Here’s what the speakers at the ceremony had to say:

1. Recognizing the faculty

Two professors were honored for their innovative approaches to teaching and mentoring undergraduate students.

Holly Dugan, an associate professor of English, received the Robert W. Kenny Award for her class on “Literature and the Financial Imagination,” which focusses on the way finances are presented in literature.

“Dugan found a way to put a fresh, unique, real-world spin on a traditional English course, innovative in its motive and structure,” Alan Wade, a professor of theater, said about the course.

Diane Cline, an associate professor of history and classics, also received the Columbian Prize for Teaching and Mentoring Advanced Undergraduate Students. She worked with students at archaeological sites in Greece and served as an advisor to several of the graduates.

“Diane is an integral part of the history department and its mission to increase the number of undergraduate majors,” Elizabeth Chako, the associate dean for undergraduate studies for CCAS, said. “She is an exceptional teacher. She is also deeply committed to developing GW’s initiative to the process of learning and collaboration.”

2. Celebrating student achievement

Former Student Association President Erika Feinman delivered remarks to students after receiving the Distinguished Scholar Award, which is given to a student nominated by faculty members for academic originality and student contributions. In their speech, Feinman addressed concerns that some students might have for the future.

“We can’t focus so much on the question of what to do next that we don’t think about what is happening right now,” they said. “It’s okay if your first job out of college isn’t your dream job. It’s okay if you don’t know how to make a million dollars in 10 seconds or that you feel like you’re taking a step backwards, because that is sometimes the best way to move forward.”

Feinman also gave students advice on how to move forward after leaving the Foggy Bottom neighborhood.

“Reflect on all than you’ve accomplished in these past years and focus on what you are passionate about. Realize that there is a way to make your passion the center of your life’s work,” they said. “Finally, remember GW as the place where you learned just as much about your discipline as you did about yourself.”

3. ‘Be confident in your knowledge’

Several of the speakers told the graduating students to think about everything they learned at GW and apply it to their future careers.

Ben Vinson, dean of CCAS, gave the charge to the graduates, telling students to think about what their education means to them every month for the rest of their lives.

“Be confident in your knowledge and in the extraordinary opportunities you’ve been given,” he said. “The collective moments and connections you’ve made are the things you will continue to draw upon as you move forward.”

Vinson also said that those in the audience should work to preserve their liberal arts education even as the world transitions into an era of technology and fast-paced living.

“We as graduates of the arts and sciences must return to asking ourselves the questions that rest at the core of our fields,” he said. “What is the meaning of life? Why are we here? Why are things the way they are? How do we become better people? How do we build a better society?”

Both Vinson and Feinman told graduates to take time to appreciate their own achievements and the many milestones that have led to their commencement.

“I encourage you to bask in your accomplishments, celebrate with your loved ones and treasure this very special moment,” Feinman said. “Don’t let your fear of tomorrow keep you from celebrating everything you have accomplished today.”

Like these photos? You can purchase your personal photo from this graduation ceremony online at: www.hatchetphotos.com

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
In one reference, The Hatchet used the wrong pronoun for Erika Feinman. It has been updated. We regret this error.