Law school student hailed as a hero for helping man attacked at Metro station

A law school student who stepped in last week to help a man being attacked at a Metro station was called a “hero” at a press conference with the victim Wednesday, ABC-7 reported.

Andrew Miller, who is entering his final year at the law school, said he intervened in the attack after he saw a group of male teens beating a man on the platform of the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro station during rush hour on May 12.

“If you don’t do something, the consequences are far greater than if you do and get hurt,” Miller said at the press conference, according to ABC affiliate WJLA.

John Rowley, the victim, said the attack was unprovoked, and that the group punched, kicked and threw him into a static train. Rowley said at the press conference that no one stopped to help except Miller, according to WJLA’s report.

Miller said he wasn’t sure if he yelled at the attackers or just threw his body at them, but that his actions quickly distracted the attackers from beating Rowley. Miller said one of the attackers punched him in the ear, knocking him to the ground and giving him a concussion.

“He took some of the punches that were intended for me,” Rowley said at the press conference. “You know, the word hero is thrown around casually – sports heroes, all sorts of heroes – this guy is a hero.”

Miller said it’s a “shame” when a crowd of people sees someone getting hurt and does not intervene.

“The crowd could have done something about it and should have,” he said. “And I hope next time the crowd does something about it. I hope that more people step forward and fight on behalf of people who need it.”

Two juveniles were arrested in relation to the attack, according to WJLA.