SA Senate-elect approves eight of Chua’s nine cabinet picks

Sam Hardgrove | Assistant Photo Editor
Ezra Alltucker, Chief of Staff to SA President-elect Peak Sen Chua, collected ballots as the SA Senate-elect voted to approve executive cabinet nominees for next academic year.

The Student Association Senate-elect confirmed eight of SA President-elect Peak Sen Chua’s nine executive cabinet picks Wednesday night.

The senate-elect rejected Katie O’Connell, Chua’s pick for vice president of student activities, by a vote of 10 to nine, with eight abstentions, after senators debated her nomination in a closed-door session.

Chua said in an email after the meeting that he will reopen applications for the position next fall.

“I’m extremely disappointed but I appreciate and respect the input of the senate,” Chua said of the vote.

Ashley Le, the nominee for vice president of public affairs, received two votes more than the two-thirds needed to approve her nomination, after some senators said they were concerned that she will be studying abroad in the fall semester. Her nomination passed by a vote of 19 to three, with five abstentions.

Noel Xie and Ajay Persaud were confirmed as the vice president of diversity and inclusion and vice president of campus operations, respectively. Those positions were added to the executive cabinet through a referendum at SA elections earlier this month.

Chua added two positions to his cabinet next academic year: a director of Greek affairs for both the Interfraternity Council and the Panhellenic Council. Karl Pederson, a member of Delta Tau Delta, will be the SA’s Greek affairs director for the IFC and Julia Satin, a member of Alpha Phi, will serve in the role for the Panhellenic Council.

Chua also announced his picks for directors and assistants, who do not need to be confirmed by the senate.

Former SA presidential candidate Adam Johnson did not get nominated for a cabinet position for next academic year.

Johnson said earlier this month that he would apply for a cabinet job because he wanted his voice to be heard in the SA after the presidential election was cancelled.

Johnson said he applied to serve as the director of student health services to improve mental health resources on campus, on issue he campaigned on during the presidential race.

He said he was told Monday that he did not receive the position and was disappointed that he was not selected. Reed Elman and Anna Silverman were nominated for that role.

“Peak has to make his decision amongst whom he wants on his team, but, to be honest, I wanted to be there and be involved,” Johnson said.

Here is the remainder of next year’s SA executive cabinet:

Vice President for Undergraduate Student Policy: Matilda Bress

Vice President for Community Affairs: Jacob Smith

Vice President for Academic Affairs: Karisa Anad

Vice President for Financial Affairs: Sarah Abbey

Vice President for Judicial and Legislative Affairs: Hannah Bloom