Rand Paul to teach CCAS course next fall

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Kentucky, will teach a course on “dystopian visions” next fall in the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, the school’s dean confirmed Thursday.

CCAS Dean Ben Vinson said the course will focus on the history of dystopian attitudes and how they relate to current events and political debates.

“When Senator Paul’s office approached us about coming to campus to teach this course, we agreed that his unique voice as a sitting senator would provide an engaging backdrop for our students,” he said in an email.

Vinson said the course is not connected to a department or program and will be offered as an elective. The class is only open to CCAS students and registration is closed, according to the course schedule.

Elected to the senate in 2010, Paul was an ophthalmologist before entering politics. He ran for president in the Republican primary in 2016.

“I am thrilled to have an opportunity to join the faculty and students at the George Washington University for the upcoming fall semester,” Paul said through a University spokesman. “The George Washington University is one of our nation’s leading higher education institutions and I look forward to my time in Foggy Bottom.”

Paul has expressed interest in teaching a class on dystopian novels before. In 2013, he told Vice the novels reflect current politics and show the dangers of the government gaining too much power.