Dish of the week: Lupo Verde’s cappellacci

Max Wang | Hatchet Photographer
The cheesy cappellacci is a delicate, ravioli-like pasta filled with chewy mozzarella, sweet candied tomatoes, fresh basil and creamy ricotta.

Lupo Verde, on the corner of T and 14th streets, is the epitome of a classic Italian restaurant with its rustic interior, a flowering outdoor patio and a vast menu of cheese and pasta.

The dishes and atmosphere will make you feel like you’re sitting in a restaurant in Rome. They have everything a lover of traditional Italian food could want. The burrata alla cenere ($16) is incredibly creamy, the fluffy gnocchi ($21) is surrounded by a smoky mushroom ragu and the cheese board (3 for $17 and 5 for $28) is filled with light and delicious cheeses topped with juicy strawberries and oranges.

One of the best dishes on the extensive menu is by far the cheesy cappellacci ($20). This delicate, ravioli-like pasta is filled with chewy mozzarella, sweet candied tomatoes, fresh basil and creamy ricotta. All of these ingredients work together to create a delightful combination of flavors typical to Italy. It’s so delectable that your first bite will quickly turn into your last.

These sweet bundles of pasta sit in a light and fresh tomato sauce that perfectly complements the heaviness of the cheese in the cappellacci. The toasted almonds sprinkled on top provide a nice crunch and nutty flavor.

The crusty artisan bread Lupo Verde offers will be perfect for cleaning the last bit of tomato sauce off your plate.

At Lupo Verde, they don’t stray far from traditional Italian flavors, but none of the customers in the bustling dining room seem to mind.