Staff member arrested on child pornography charges no longer employed at GW

Updated: April 27, 2017 at 11:50 a.m.

A male staff member arrested by federal agents earlier this month on child pornography charges is no longer employed by GW, University spokeswoman Maralee Csellar confirmed Monday.

The staff member was arrested on April 12 for possessing and distributing child pornography, University Police Department Detective Matthew Robinson said in a meeting with The Hatchet.

Robinson said a federal agency contacted UPD about the arrest.

Csellar said in an email the man was arrested at work, but the crime allegedly occurred off campus.

She said the University had no further details from the agency that made the arrest.

The man was arrested by agents from the Homeland Security Investigations unit of the Department of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, Matthew Bourke, a spokesman for the department, said earlier this month.

He said the arrest on GW’s campus was part of an ongoing investigation and he could not comment further on the case.

James Levinson contributing reporting.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that a University spokeswoman declined to provide further details because the case involved pending litigation. She did not provide more information because the alleged crime occurred off campus and the University was not given more information by the agency that made the arrest. We regret this error.