Become a true local and live in one of these D.C. neighborhoods this summer

If you’re living in D.C. this summer, switch it up and pick a different neighborhood. Capitol Hill will be the right locale for you if you’re interested in exploring the bustling restaurant scene at Barracks Row on Eighth Street.

If you’re staying in D.C. this summer, it can be tempting to just send in your deposit for housing at GW. But the summer months are the prime time to venture off campus and live in a different neighborhood in the city.

GW’s summer housing options start at $2,800 for 11 weeks in a traditional double or quad and top off at around $4,235 for a single in South Hall. You’ll also need to factor in the 15 percent D.C. Housing Accommodation Tax and other fees the University tacks onto those prices.

Whether you want to spend your summer at Nationals Park or bar-hopping on U Street, these different neighborhoods will help you see D.C. beyond Foggy Bottom.

To become a true Washingtonian, check out these neighborhoods where you can get comparable rent for one bedroom in a shared apartment, or even save a little green, this summer.

If you’re a night owl: Adams Morgan
Colorful townhouses and historic homes dot the streets in Adams Morgan, giving summer residents a more upscale and traditional D.C. living experience. You’ll feel like a true local when you’re running to catch the Metro at the U Street station and the bouncers at the neighborhood’s best bars know you by name.

Known for its vibrant nightlife, living in Adams Morgan means that you can step outside your door and into your favorite bars. In Adams Morgan, you will also be adjacent to late night food staples, like Amsterdam Falafelshop, Jumbo Slice and The Diner, to satisfy all your midnight cravings.

The area restaurant scene offers a diverse collection of offbeat speakeasy vibes alongside uptown and elegant bistros. At Songbyrd, an unorthodox coffeehouse and music shop, you can make your own record or dine in at this relaxed brunch spot serving artisanal java drinks, hearty focaccia sandwiches and all day breakfast for around $15 per meal. The space also doubles as a concert venue, so be sure to check out the schedule and stop by during a live performance.

Adams Morgan also offers a large concentration of comedy clubs and open mic nights at the area’s many bars, which will give you some comedic relief after a long workday. The DC Arts Center houses local improv and sketch groups at shows on most nights of the week.

If you’re looking to really delve into D.C.’s buzzing arts scene and party just as much as you push paper at your internship, Adams Morgan is the neighborhood for you.

Apartment costs range from $1,100 – $2,300 per month

If you’re a typical Hilltern: Capitol Hill
Living in this convenient neighborhood not only means you are walking distance from the Supreme Court, Smithsonian museums and the Capitol Building, but you’ll be able to mix in some fun at an array of open-air restaurants and bars.

Take a break after your long day of work as a hilltern to walk down Barracks Row on Eighth Street – a strip that boasts a bustling restaurant scene from pubs and quick bites to gourmet doughnuts from District Doughnut.

This neighborhood calls for spontaneous weekend visits to Eastern Market for your dose of locally made produce, jewelry, vintage clothing and soaps. This neighborhood also offers a number of pet-friendly restaurants that can remedy the pang of homesickness for dog owners staying in the District over the summer. Art and Soul not only offers hearty Southern comfort food using sustainable ingredients, but also a “pooch patio menu,” making it the go-to Sunday puppy-spotting venue.

For an upscale cultural activity that you can use to impress your coworkers, you can find evening viewings of a Shakespearean play at The Folger Shakespeare Theatre on East Capitol Street. Designed to resemble an Elizabethan inn, the playhouse is a quirky hidden gem in the formal backdrop of Capitol Hill.

If convenience is your main priority but you also want some freedom eat outside and enjoy the summer weather, an apartment right behind Capitol Hill is perfect for you.

Apartment costs range from $1,200 – $2,200 per month

If you’re an outdoorsy, sports fan: Navy Yard
This up-and-coming southeast neighborhood features a mix of new high-rise apartments with older homes, all along D.C.’s waterfront to help you cool off during the humid summer.

With baseball season in full swing, living in Navy Yard is perfect for sports fans looking to catch a weekend game at Nationals Park. Between innings, you can grab a snack at one of the dozens of new food venues that opened inside the stadium this season, like a tot-tower from See. You. Tater. or a local cocktail at the new Distillers of the DMV.

Living by the southwest waterfront has other perks, especially if you’re looking to be healthier this summer. The Anacostia Riverwalk Trail provides the perfect locale for a jog along the waterfront with a stunning sunrise.

With the waterfront location, it is hardly surprising that Navy Yard hosts some of D.C.’s trendiest bars. Just off Riverwalk Trail, treat yourself under a pink striped umbrella at Whaley’s, which will have transformed part of their waterfront patio into a Rosé Garden for the spring-summer season. The Rosé Garden will offer a menu of ten Rosé wines as well as frozen drinks, high-ball cocktails, beer and fresh appetizers all with a gorgeous river backdrop.

If you’re looking to enjoy the outdoors and forget you’re in a hot and humid city this summer, score an apartment in Navy Yard and take advantage of outdoor activities along the southwest waterfront.

Apartment costs range from $1,700 – $2,000 per month