Dish of the week: Taqueria del Barrio’s Al Pastor taco

Taqueria del Barrio, a new Mexican restaurant in Petworth, takes tacos to the next level with 14 different types of savory and authentic tacos.

Taqueria del Barrio, a new Mexican restaurant in Petworth, is raising the bar for tacos in the District.

The restaurant, located at 821 Upshur St. NW, opened last month and serves authentic Mexican dishes with a laid back atmosphere. The high-quality food shouldn’t come as a surprise to locals because the owner, Anna Bran-Leis, also owns D.C. Empanadas, a local food truck.

The restaurant’s brick walls are covered in tattoo-like illustrations and softly glowing string lights that hang across the restaurant. Taqueria del Barrio has brought the outdoor patio vibe inside, so you can enjoy refreshing margaritas and creamy guacamole all year long.

The menu offers a diverse range of classic Mexican dishes with everything from spicy chile relleno ($11.99) and cheesy enchiladas ($11.99-$12.99), to fresh elote – Mexican street corn slathered in butter, cheese and spices ($3.99).

But the show stoppers at Taqueria del Barrio are the 14 different types of tacos they offer. Although you can’t go wrong with any of Taqueria del Barrio’s tasty tacos, the Al Pastor is a true classic.

The Al Pastor taco ($3) is served in a small, warm corn tortilla, which adds a subtle flavor that makes all of the difference. The taco is filled with juicy shredded pork cooked in an array of savory spices and topped with sweet, grilled pineapple. This combination of sweet and savory flavors blend together perfectly.

When you first bite into the Al Pastor taco, your tastebuds will thank you. The shredded pork will melt in your mouth and the pineapple will add a satisfying crunch. Don’t forget to squeeze a bit of lime on to your taco as well – it adds the perfect amount of citrus flavor.