Women’s rowing places second in Howard W. Wilkens Bowl

The women’s team won four of its races on Saturday, amassing 50 points to grab second place behind Drexel (55).

The Colonials competed in a nine-team pool including Atlantic 10 rivals Rhode Island, Saint Joseph’s, Dayton and Duquesne.

Head coach Eric Carcich praised his team’s resilience throughout the competition despite the unfavorable racing conditions.

“It’s an outdoor sport and we have to get used to all sorts of conditions,” Carcich said. “It’s actually good that we’re able to practice in bad conditions because we might have bad conditions at [the A-10 Championships].”

The competition was marked by several tight races. In their race against Navy and Rhode Island, GW’s Varsity 8 was bested by Navy by just a three-second margin (5:59.60).

Though the Colonials rounded out the competition with a three-race win streak, they were unable to surpass Drexel in the standings.

With just four weeks remaining in their season, the Colonials hope to build on their speed going into A-10s.

“We’re working towards the A-10s and this is just a step along the way,” Carcich said. “On Monday we forget about this race and start preparing for the George’s Cup.”

The women’s rowing team returns to action in the George’s Cup against Georgetown and George Mason April 14 on the Occoquan River.