Most photo-worthy street mural: Watermelon Wall

Most photo-worthy street art
Location: 1112 Q St. NW
Readers’ pick: Angel Wings – Dupont Circle

A short walk from the Shaw-Howard University metro stop and near popular spots like Le Diplomate and the Black Cat, the Watermelon Wall in Logan Circle is the perfect backdrop for your new profile picture.

The Watermelon Wall originated by accident in 2006. The owners of a home in Logan Circle decided to commission the watermelon design on the side of their house after the walls were painted pink instead of the brick-red they had hoped for, according to the Washington Post.

The brick wall was painted more than a decade ago and covers the entire side of the house. Bright pink paint covers the entire wall and after the mistake was made, the owners added a green rind in the bottom right corner and flecked the wall with large black teardrop shaped seeds.

The mistake has since become a notable street mural in the District, although the owners of the home repainted the front of the house the rusty red color they were originally hoping for.

The bright colors add an unexpected pop to the townhouses that come in uniform size and monochromatic colors in the neighborhood.

As the summer months come around, finish off your Sunday brunch or afternoon stroll with a stop at the Watermelon Wall. The quick photo opportunity will be the perfect way to incorporate city summer fun on your Instagram feed or to print from a Polaroid.