Best food truck: Swizzler

Best food truck
Location: H Street between 21st and 22nd streets
Readers’ pick: Swizzler

With classic 2000s pop songs blaring from the speakers and students lined up for hours every week, Swizzler is The Hatchet’s pick for best food truck.

Swizzler serves an unexpected take on the classic American hot dog, and is a fulfilling food truck experience you can’t get at any other truck that rolls through campus.

Four items make up the menu: a caprese-salad-inspired dog ($7.25), a New-Jersey-inspired dog with house-fermented sauerkraut and New York style mustard ($6.95), a honey-drizzled goat cheese and caramelized onion dog ($7.50) and a plain dog ($5.50).

The Leonardo Dog Vinci, which is topped with rich pesto, crisp tomatoes, sliced mozzarella and drizzled with a thick balsamic glaze, was also voted by Hatchet readers as the best food for your Instagram. 

But these hot dogs have a twist – literally. Swizzler cuts these 100% grass-fed beef hot dogs into a spiral. The spiral shape allows the toppings and sauces to soak into every bite.

The truffle parmesan fries ($6) and naked fries ($4) are a classic complement to the hot dogs, but the crispy brussels sprouts topped with parmesan and black pepper honey ($6) are a slightly healthier alternative. These house-made sides can be made into a combo to “ball on a budget” with any Swizzler dog and naked fries for $9.50 or any Swizzler dog and truffle fries or brussels sprouts for $11.50.

The truck also stocks pretzel buns and veggie dogs, which can be substituted on any of the available items. The truck’s famous “swizz sauzz” is a ketchup-consistency that packs a tangy taste and spicy kick.