Joseph named head coach of men’s basketball program

Dan Rich
Hatchet file photo by Dan Rich | Photo Editor

Maurice Joseph has officially been named head coach of the men’s basketball program, the University announced Monday.

The five-year deal comes one year after Joseph was tabbed to helm the team as interim head coach in the wake of former head coach Mike Lonergan’s ousting.

With a roster that featured eight newcomers, including six freshmen, the 31-year-old led GW to its fourth consecutive 20-win season and a sixth-place finish in the Atlantic 10 in 2016-2017.

“There is a proud tradition at GW driven by decades of successful student-athletes both on and off the court, and it is a privilege to be tasked with the responsibility of mentoring our team moving forward,” Joseph said in a release.

Joseph wrapped his sixth season in Foggy Bottom earlier this month in the second round of the 2017 College Basketball Invitational. He spent the previous five years as part of Lonergan’s staff and three as an assistant coach.

The Montreal, Quebec native has collegiate playing experience at Michigan State and Vermont, where he led the Catamounts to an America East Championship and NCAA Tournament appearance in 2010.

The Colonials are expected to return six of their top eight scorers next fall, but will lose freshman forward Kevin Marfo, who requested a transfer last week, and redshirt junior point guard Jaren Sina, who announced he will graduate early.

“Maurice has demonstrated that he is the right individual to lead our men’s basketball program,” athletic director Patrick Nero said in a release. “Our student-athletes respond well to his energy, passion and vision…We’re confident that he will continue to recruit and retain the next generation of men’s basketball student-athletes and help their talents shine.”