Fire at Columbia Plaza evacuates building

Media Credit: Keegan Mullen | Hatchet Photographer

D.C. Fire and EMS put out a fire at the Consul at Columbia Plaza apartments Wednesday evening.

D.C. Fire and EMS put out a fire at the Consul at Columbia Plaza apartments Wednesday evening.

D.C. FEMS spokesman Vito Maggiolo said officials responded to a call dispatched at 7:40 p.m. and extinguished the fire using a hose line and standard procedure. More than half a dozen fire trucks responded to the scene.

The building was evacuated and officials extinguished the fire by 8:05 p.m., he added. Maggiolo said they were able to contain the fire to the room where it started. Firefighters then entered the room through a ladder and ventilated smoke from the room.

“It’s a meat and potatoes fire, confined to one room,” Maggiolo said.

Officials could not confirm the cause of the fire, but multiple residents of the building said a candle set fire to a towel in a fifth floor room. There were no injuries, Maggiolo said.

The Hatchet has disabled comments on our website. Learn more.