Business school graduate programs unranked due to data reporting error

The business school created 15 graduate certificate programs to allow graduate students more flexibility in pursuing their degrees.

The GW School of Business was left off the U.S. News & World Report’s rankings of top graduate programs this year.

The business school was slated to be the No. 57 best graduate business school, but ended up unranked due to a data reporting error, according to the report’s website. The annual graduate school rankings were released this week.

Linda Livingstone, the business school dean, sent an email to faculty, staff and students Tuesday explaining that the error was due to a miscalculation in test scores that officials noticed when reviewing pre-publication rankings data.

Livingstone said in the email that the school provided the publication with the correct data March 9.

“We regret this error and take seriously our responsibility to ensure the integrity of the information we report to U.S. News and all agencies,” Livingstone said. “We believe we did the right thing by immediately and proactively reporting the error and providing the correct data to U.S. News as soon as the error was discovered.”

U.S. News & World Report listed the school as unranked because of the error, which Livingstone said “in no way diminishes the excellence of our programs, the quality of our faculty or the success of our students.”

Last year, the masters of business administration program was ranked No. 51, the second year in a row it rose seven spots.

In this year’s graduate program rankings, the Graduate School of Education and Human Development’s programs rose seven places, tying at No. 38. The engineering school’s programs also saw a slight bump in rankings, rising three spots to No. 89.

The School of Medicine and Health Sciences rose four places for the second year in a row, coming in at No. 59 for research medical schools.

The law school dropped five spots, the fourth straight year of rankings declines, tied for No. 30. The school was ranked No. 20 in 2014.