Colonials and Alumni weekends to combine this October

Updated: March 9, 2017 at 10:03 a.m.

Alumni and Colonials weekend will be combined this October for the first time since 2007, the University announced Wednesday.

The previously separate Colonials and Alumni weekends will turn into a four-day event on the same weekend for alumni, families and students on Oct. 19-22 to give more opportunities for current students to connect with alumni.

The weekend will feature events from both weekends, including student performances, academic and information sessions, class reunions, open houses in residence halls and other campus buildings and networking opportunities, according to the release.

“We are excited to be able to offer an interactive experience that connects our students, families and alumni as lifelong members of the GW community,” Peter Konwerski, the vice provost and dean of student affairs said in the release.

This is the second big change to Colonials Weekend in the past year. This year was the first time in 13 years that the weekend featured student performers instead of a big-name celebrity performance.

Matt Manfra, the interim vice president of development and alumni relations, said that alumni expressed interest in wanting to interact more with students, which can happen more easily with the combined weekends.

“By combining these weekends we meet our alumni’s needs and continue to foster their enduring engagement with the university,” Manfra said in the release.

Alumni and fundraising leaders have said that Alumni Weekend is more of an opportunity to connect with young alumni and help them network, rather than asking them for donations.

The schedule of activities for the weekend will be finalized and released this summer, according to the release.

This post was updated to reflect the following correction:
The Hatchet incorrectly reported that this year would be the first time Colonials and Alumni weekends are combined. They were combined from 2001 to 2007. We regret this error.