Burglaries hit 26th Street apartments twice in two months

Max Wang | Hatchet Photographer
A male forced open the front door of Colonial Arms Apartments with a screwdriver during two burglaries in two months at the complex.

Burglars have stolen packages from an apartment complex on 26th Street twice in the past two months, according to reports from the Metropolitan Police Department.

In both cases, a male forced his way into the building using a screwdriver, according to the reports. Both incidents of second degree burglary at Colonial Arms Apartments, owned by FitzGerald Properties, are still open.

In the most recent burglary case, a male subject entered the building lobby at about 5 a.m. on Feb. 14 and opened a package, according to MPD and released security footage. The person then disappeared from view and returned to the lobby before fleeing the scene.

The other case on Jan. 6 at almost 5 a.m. the security cameras captured a male subject breaking into the lobby, taking multiple packages and filling a plastic bag with several items, according to the report and released video footage.

MPD has asked the public to help find people of interest for both burglaries and released security footage from both incidents, MPD spokeswoman Aquita Brown said.

Brown said security is always in the community patrolling. She declined to say if MPD believed the same suspect was involved or if the burglaries were connected incidents.

Marco Guzman, a Foggy Bottom and West End Advisory Neighborhood commissioner, said he has been working with the building owners to secure the door.

Guzman said he believes that the building should install stronger locks and that packages should be placed in more secure locations. He said that residents should directly contact the property manager and demand action to prevent future incidents.

“I think more attention from the property owners and manager is needed to remedy this issues,” Guzman said.

He added that he had not heard of break-in problems at Colonial Arms before these burglaries.

Crime Solvers of D.C. is offering up to $1,000 to anyone who helps MPD find and arrest the people of interest. MPD asks anyone who has information to call 202-727-9099, according to the press releases.