Three Colonials pick up A-10 postseason honors for women’s basketball

Graduate Student Lexi Martins and seniors Caira Washington and Hannah Schaible each received Atlantic 10 All-Conference honors the league announced Tuesday.

In her first year as a member of women’s basketball, Martins earned a spot on the All-Conference First Team. She finished the regular season with a team-high 12.7 points and 7.7 rebounds per game.

Joining Martins on the First Team is Fordham junior G’Mrice Davis, La Salle senior Amy Griffin and Saint Louis seniors Jackie Kemph and Sadie Stipanovich.

The six-foot-one-inch Irvington, N.Y. native also found a spot on the league’s All-Academic team. She was one of 27 GW student-athletes that earned a perfect 4.0 grade point average during either the spring or fall of 2016.

Washington was awarded a position on the All-Conference second team after scoring 11.8 points per game, grabbing 7.7 rebounds per game and leading the league with a 60 percent shooting clip. This is her fourth consecutive year with postseason honors including a spot on the All-Conference First Team during the past two seasons.

Washington was joined by Schaible, who was given her first-career All-Conference recognition in her four years as a starter, as members of the A-10 All-Defensive team. Schaible led the A-10 in steals with 2.5 per game while Washington finished second in blocks with 2.3 per contest.

The Colonials kick off their postseason on Friday when they take on Duquesne in Richmond, Va. In the quarter-finals of the conference tournament. GW will be looking to string together three wins for its third straight A-10 championship.