D.C. ranked fourth-best metro area in U.S.

D.C. was ranked the fourth-best metro area in the country by U.S. News and World Report this week.

The District earned an overall score of 7.3, which is based on desirability, value, job market, quality of life and net migration.

The report highlighted D.C. as more than just the nation’s capital, with a variety of neighborhoods that each seem like a small town.

“Each neighborhood in the District and its surrounding towns has its own atmosphere. Residents gather for block parties, mingle at dog parks and converse at coffee shops, creating an ambiance similar to that of a much smaller community,” Miriam Weiner, a D.C. resident, said in the report.

The Smithsonian museums, theaters, sports teams, nightclubs and outdoor activities keep residents busy all year. And new restaurants are popping up all over the District, which contributed to the city’s high ranking, according to the report.

Living in the District is more costly than living in other parts of the U.S., though. Renters pay about $400 more a month for housing than the national average, according to the report.

Despite the high cost of living, D.C.’s population is young: About 32 percent of residents are 24-years-old and younger because of the number of universities and entry-level job opportunities in the District, according to the report.