Turning Point members protest Sanders outside town hall

Tyler+Tate%2C+a+student+from+Georgetown+University%2C+was+one+of+dozens+of+protestors+demonstrating+against+Sen.+Bernie+Sanders+Tuesday+night.+
Tyler Tate, a student from Georgetown University, was one of dozens of protestors demonstrating against Sen. Bernie Sanders Tuesday night. Keegan Mullen | Hatchet Photographer
Tyler Tate, a student from Georgetown University, was one of dozens of protestors demonstrating against Sen. Bernie Sanders Tuesday night.

Tuesday night’s CNN town hall debate drew about 100 people to the street corners in front of the Media and Public Affairs Building in quiet protest.

Other than a few occasional shouts of “Socialism sucks,” and “Taxation is theft,” Turning Point USA’s rally protesting Sen. Bernie Sander’s, I-Vt. self-professed political leaning and government-subsidized health care was quiet.

Turning Point USA is an organization with a presence on more than 1,000 college campuses that trains and educates students to promote fiscal responsibility and limited government, according to their website.

Helen Heath, the group’s Virginia field director, said the protest was intended to be a peaceful, educational protest.

“If people want more wealth, a bigger pie so people can have bigger pieces, capitalism is the way to go, not socialism,” Heath said. “A lot of people don’t understand that. We try to educate people and inform them on the issues.”

While protests have been on going since President Donald Trump took office last month, Heath said Tuesday’s group seemed to have a great relationship with the campus police and were polite, mild-mannered protesters who wanted to start a dialogue about the issues they oppose.

“I love to see people discussing the issues and becoming better education even if they’re arguing a side I don’t agree with,” Heath said.

Although no one from the group got tickets to the event, a small number of protesters went across the street to the Marvin Center to watch the debate unfold on television screens.

Students from different chapters of Turning Point USA turned up for the event, including students from the University of Maryland. UMD student Christian Spencer said the group had an “interesting” dynamic.

“We all have an array of political viewpoints, but we what we do promote is free speech and conversation,” Spencer said.

He added that the group mobilized quickly, considering the last minute nature of the event.

Nicole Catanzarite, the president of the UMD Turning Point chapter, said it was important for the group to come out to protest big government and support the free market among other issues.

“People think they can rely on the government to take take care of them,” Catanzarite said. “The government takes away from free markets.”

Keegan Mullen contributed reporting.