SA Senate votes to support international students after immigration ban

Student Association President Erika Feinman address the senate Monday night before a vote on a resolution in support of international students. Lisa Blitstein | Hatchet Photographer
Student Association President Erika Feinman addresses the senate Monday night before a vote on a resolution in support of international students.

In the wake of President Donald Trump’s recent immigration ban on those from seven Muslim-majority nations, the Student Association Senate passed a resolution with unanimous consent pledging support for international students Monday night.

On Jan. 27, Trump signed an executive order blocking the entry of all people, including U.S. visa holders, from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen.

Seventy-three GW students, scholars and alumni currently working in the D.C. area are affected by the executive order.

SA President Erika Feinman said the resolution was designed to support international students impacted by the executive order that “threatens members of our campuses.”

“We met with several administrators, including Provost Maltzman, about what this means for our students, staff, and faculty from the impacted countries,” Feinman said.

Prior to the vote, Feinman added that if the resolution passes, they plan on reaching out to student government leaders across the nation to renounce the executive order.

The senate also passed a resolution expressing the group’s support for incoming University President Thomas LeBlanc.

LeBlanc, the current executive vice president and provost at the University of Miami, is credited for assisting in increasing diversity and improving retention rates.

Sen. Imani Ross, CCAS-U, said she sponsored the bill because it highlights the future president’s accomplishments and what he can bring to the student body experience.

“It is a great time to get new president and I hope that we can help him with his transition,” Ross said.

Nathan Boll and Justin Oparaugo were also confirmed to fill a vacant graduate-at-large and graduate school of business seats at Monday’s meeting.