Knapp signs agreement to send 50 student volunteers to 2018 Olympics

As many as 50 student volunteers will go to the 2018 Olympics in South Korea on behalf of GW, according to a University release Wednesday.

University President Steven Knapp signed an agreement to provide the volunteers with Hee-Beom Lee, the president of the 2018 Winter Olympics’ organizing committee Tuesday, according to the release. The announcement and signing happened at the Korean Management Institute’s “Summit on the State of South Korea” event.

“This exciting partnership with the Pyeongchang Organizing Committee for the 2018 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games will offer our students a unique opportunity to learn firsthand about how the games are organized, while also experiencing the riches of Korean life and culture,” Knapp said at the event Tuesday, according to the release.

Student volunteers at the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang will help with the press, language services and medical support and will be chosen based on their interests, experience and relevant coursework listed on an application, the release states.

Lee, who is also an alumnus, said the Olympic and Paralympic Ceremonies will feature multiple translation services, convenient locations and activities for people of all ages.

“Pyeongchang 2018 volunteers will come from many different backgrounds and cultures,” Lee said, according to the release. “I am confident that students from George Washington University will enjoy this special opportunity in Pyeongchang and bring their professionalism and passion to the games.”

This agreement is the latest connection between GW and Korea: The School of Business formed the Korean Management Institute in 2015, and an Institute for Korean Studies formally launched earlier this month.