Preview: Men’s basketball at George Mason

Graduate student forward Tyler Cavanaugh goes up to the rim against Duquesne last week. The team's leading scorer will look to guide GW to a road win at George Mason Wednesday. Ehtan Stoler | Hatchet Photographer
Graduate student forward Tyler Cavanaugh goes up to the rim against Duquesne last week. The team’s leading scorer will look to guide GW to a road win at George Mason Wednesday. Ehtan Stoler | Hatchet Photographer

What: Men’s basketball (10-9, 2-4 A-10) at George Mason (13-6, 3-3 A-10)

When: Wednesday, Jan. 25 at 7 p.m.

Where: EagleBank Arena, Fairfax, Va.

After starting Atlantic 10 play on a low note with a 1-4 record, the Colonials edged out Duquesne for a win on their home floor last week, snapping their first three-game losing streak in nearly two years.

Now with 12 games left on the schedule, GW will take a short trip across the Potomac to face off against the George Mason Patriots who sit at .500 in conference play.

Last year when these two teams met, GW defeated George Mason twice, including a an 18-point victory, during which then-redshirt junior Tyler Cavanaugh led with a double-double (16p, 10r). The Colonials have the advantage in the all-time series with a dominant 16-2 record against the Patriots.

The case for the Colonials:

During the win over Duquesne, GW displayed its ability to get the ball in the hoop at a consistent rate, especially from long distance. The Colonials shot 42.1 percent from the field and 44.0 percent from behind the arc.

After coming back from injury, junior guard Yuta Watanabe has provided GW with an offensive spark. Over the last five games, Watanabe has scored double-digits in each contest, averaging 14.8 points per game.

The Colonials have seen a dip in production from Cavanaugh who currently leads the team with 15.8 points per game on the season. Over the past three games he has only combined for 30 points (10.0 ppg) and turned the ball over 10 times. Cavanaugh will be looking to turn it around and match previous performances against George Mason, when he has averaged 15.5 points and 9.0 rebounds in two outings.

GW has also been moving the ball better lately. Over the past six games, they have collected 15 assists in five contests. The passing success may be due to developing a more balanced scoring attack including freshmen Jair Bolden, Arnaldo Toro and Collin Smith and sophomore Jordan Roland all having important offensive roles.

The case for the Patriots:

Although George Mason has struggled in the past – winning just 13 conference games in three years – this year’s squad has shown some potential. They have earned a 13-6 season record by beating teams like Penn State, Northern Iowa and A-10 foe Richmond.

In the spots that GW has succeeded this year, George Mason has shown to have the team to counterbalance those efforts. The Colonials have benefitted greatly from three-point shooting across their lineup. They have sunk a league-high 9.0 threes per game at a solid 40.3 percent clip in conference play. In contrast, the Patriots have one of the best perimeter defenses, allowing only 29.1 percent three-point shooting in A-10 matchups.

Throughout the season, GW has used its size and athleticism to grab 38.3 rebounds per game compared to 32.0 for opponents. George Mason will also give the Colonials a run for their money on the glass where they average a league-high 40.7 rebounds per game.

GW has allowed its A-10 opposition to shoot 49.0 percent from the floor thus far, good for worst in the conference. The Colonials will need a much better defensive effort if they are looking to come away with the win on Wednesday.

The Patriots are led on the court by senior guard Marquise Moore, who averages a team-best 18.4 points per game (5th in A-10) and an impressive 10.9 rebounds (1st in A-10) per game with his 6-foot-2-inch frame.

The Bottom Line

Although the Colonials have never lost to George Mason since the Patriots joined the A-10, the matchups could be difficult for a young team on the road. The home team looks to have a slight advantage on paper, but GW can still pull off the win with continued offensive pressure from veterans and an improved defense.