Council member proposes to raise MPD officers’ salaries

A D.C. Council member wants to improve benefits and salaries for Metropolitan Police Department officers to decrease the turnover rate and prevent officers from leaving for more lucrative offers, The Washington Post reported Tuesday.

Council member Vincent Gray of Ward 7 plans to file the legislation for the plan Tuesday, which could cost the city approximately $63.8 million. Officers who are eligible to retire after staying in the department for five year could receive double their paycheck, which will be temporarily funded by traffic fines, according to The Post.

Not included in the cost is the requirement for D.C. to provide more money for officer pensions, The Post reported.

“As we have watched the dwindling number of police officers in the city, it is imperative that we do more to keep our residents safe,” Gray said in a statement. “This bill will create incentives for our experienced officers to stay in their jobs a few years longer.”

At the first legislative meeting of the year, Gray and Ward 2 Council member Jack Evansproposed legislation to provide the funds to increase the amount of officers in MPD to 4,200. MPD lost 415 officers in fiscal year 2015 to resignations, retirements, firing and deaths, while gaining 281 officers, according to the MPD annual report.