Public health school building wins architecture award

The American Institute of Architects named the Milken Institute School of Public Health building as a winner of the 2017 Institute Honor Awards earlier this month, according to a press release.

The awards are “the profession’s highest recognition of works that exemplify excellence in architecture, interior architecture and urban design,” according to the AIA website. The building won in the award’s interior architecture category.

The announcement listed specific features of the school’s design which the AIA deemed a “rigorous but innovative response to its site,” including skylights, pod-like classrooms facing a park as well as a mix of geometric and whimsical shapes.

“With its most sustainable solutions so deeply embedded as to be nearly indistinguishable, it keenly demonstrates the symbiotic relationship between sustainability and public health,” the release read.

The 161,000-square-feet Milken Institute School of Public Health, which opened in May 2014, is located on Washington Circle Park and houses the school’s six academic departments. The award-winning building was designed by architects Payette and Ayers Saint Gross.

The school of public health received another award for its innovative design from the Society for College and University Planning in the spring of 2015. The building also has a LEED platinum certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.