Restaurant openings to watch for in 2017

This post was written by contributing culture editor Max McCrory. 

If you’ve vowed to go against the typical New Year’s resolution and plan to eat more, not less, in 2017, then you have a lot to look forward to in the District.

While you’ll always have your old D.C. favorites, several new restaurants announced 2017 openings that will help you eat your way through the new year. Here are some openings to look forward to:

Red Apron Burger Bar

Looking to venture away from the old standby Burger, Tap and Shake for burgers and fries? The master butchers behind local Red Apron Butchery are opening Red Apron Burger Bar in Dupont Circle this year.

The restaurant will serve up mouth-watering burgers made with local beef starting at only $5.85. They’ll also be offering decadent french fries cooked up in their dry-aged beef fat as part of a “whole-animal” approach to reduce waste.

Red Apron Burger Bar will open in mid-January. If you’re craving a preview, you can visit the Red Apron Original Burger at their Red Apron Butcher stores in Union Market, Penn Quarter and Merrifield, Va.

1323 Connecticut Ave. NW

Bindaas

Bindaas, the causal eatery from the team behind Rasika, will be opening its second, and biggest, location on campus in the fall.

The restaurant will be located in The Shops at 2000 Penn and will serve up traditional Indian street food, like kebabs and Kathi rolls, to a hungry crowd of students and local business people. The new location will offer lunch, dinner, a weekend brunch and a separate carryout counter when it opens.

2000 Pennsylvania Ave. NW

Reverie
Johnny Spero, the former head chef at José Andrés’ Minibar, is opening up an affordable and charming restaurant in Georgetown this summer.

The restaurant will enhance diners’ palates with a menu full of twists on modern American cuisine. Spero wants to attract all types of people, he told the Washington City Paper, so items at Reverie will not cost more than $30.

The restaurant will sit close to campus on a cobblestoned Georgetown side street, which makes it the perfect place for students to get a taste of fine dining in a casual atmosphere without a high price tag.

3210 Grace St. NW

The Salt Line

If you come from a region where seafood is a staple, then you’ll feel right at home at The Salt Line when it opens this year.

The restaurant will be serve up New England-inspired fare, with everything from fried clams to lobster rolls to fresh oysters, as well as cuisine from the local Chesapeake Bay. The Salt Line will have daily dinner service and a weekend brunch.

The Salt Line’s location in the Capitol Riverfront neighborhood is the perfect environment and will give you an excuse to venture to an up and coming part of the District. Not to mention, with its spring 2017 opening, it’ll be the ideal place to grab an upscale bite to eat before a Washington Nationals game.

79 Potomac Ave. SE