Colonial Inauguration loses parent programming

Colonial Inauguration will be altered this summer to increase the orientation program’s focus on academics and to reduce costs for families, according to a University release Monday.

CI will be held more frequently with smaller groups of students and without parent programming starting summer 2017, according to the release.

Provost Forrest Maltzman said in the release that the changes will reduce costs for families traveling to D.C. and will help students feel more academically prepared.

“We want to ensure Colonial Inauguration best meets the needs of our students and their families,” Maltzman said.

The summer sessions will be for students only, and programming for parents will be offered online during the summer, move-in weekend in August and Colonials Weekend in October, according to the release.

The CI sessions for domestic students will be offered over six two-day periods in June, as opposed to three three-day periods as they were in years past, according to the release.

International and transfer students as well as first-year domestic students who cannot attend a June session will still be able to attend CI in August, according to the release.

Students will participate in additional programming during move-in weekend, according to the release. Administrators will continue to restructure parent programs and will release more updates this spring.

The Division of Student Affairs, which organizes CI, discussed potential changes with students as part of a review process, according to the release.

Student Association President Erika Feinman said in the release that they were happy administrators considered students’ input when making changes.

“We are eager to see how the new program plays out, and we hope it returns the expected results,” Feinman said.

Peter Konwerski, the vice provost and dean of student affairs, said in the release that CI is often the first time students are able to experience campus and begin their transitions to GW.

“So it is especially important for us to regularly review programs such as CI to help us continue to meet our students’ needs and set them up for success even before they officially start their first year,” Konwerski said.