GW releases statement on supporting undocumented students

Officials laid out their responses to student demands on protecting undocumented students in a statement Wednesday.

In the email, the University stated five principles to show their “commitment to the safety and success of all GW students.” This comes after students presented a list of demands to administrators in the wake of the incoming President-elect Donald Trump’s administration.

The statement reads that officials will continue provide information to undocumented students on how to apply to GW and request financial aid, and will not require that admitted or current students provide proof of citizenship, according to the release.

The university will also assist undocumented students through GW Law School’s immigration law clinic and confidential student records regarding immigration status of undocumented students will not be released. Students will not be questioned, held or arrested by the GW Police Department on the basis of immigration status alone and UPD officers will not participate in joint immigration enforcement efforts unless required by law, according to the release.

Last month, University President Steven Knapp joined more than 180 other university presidents nationwide in a letter supporting a program that prevents the deportation of young undocumented citizens.

Students held several events in the days after the election, including a walk-out with more than 400 participants. The walk-out was a part of a national effort on campuses to demand that university administrators create a campus that is deemed safe for students of color, immigrants, undocumented students and members of other marginalized groups.