Knapp’s pay ranked 27th among private university executives

University President Steven Knapp was ranked 27th among the nation's highest-paid university executives. Hatchet file photo
University President Steven Knapp was ranked 27th among the nation’s highest-paid university executives. Hatchet file photo.

University President Steven Knapp is the 27th highest-paid private university executive in the nation, according to the most recent data from the Chronicle of Higher Education.

This ranking is a three-spot drop from last year’s report, when Knapp was the 24th-highest earner.

The Chronicle’s database, which was updated Dec. 4 with salary information from fiscal year 2014, lists Knapp’s total compensation as $1,170,264, and his base salary, before benefits and bonuses, as $873,191. Knapp was listed among more than 1,200 chief executives at both public and private universities.

Knapp’s total compensation increased the following year to $1,196,264, a 7 percent increase, according to the University’s financial documents from fiscal year 2015.

Executives at nine of the University’s 14 peer schools earned more than Knapp in fiscal year 2014, according to the Chronicle.

The top private college earner was Jack Varsalona, president of the University of Wilmington in Delaware. Parsalona earned $5,449,405 in fiscal year 2014.