Knapp signs onto letter in support of undocumented students

University President Steven Knapp was one of more than 180 university presidents who showed support for undocumented students in a letter released Monday. Hatchet file photo by Olivia Anderson | Contributing Photo Editor

University President Steven Knapp joined more than 180 other university presidents nationwide in a letter supporting a program that prevents the deportation of young undocumented citizens.

The group of presidents signed the letter in support of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program. The program exempts children who entered the country before their 16th birthday or before June 2007 from deportation – meaning many of those impacted by the legislation are of college age.

The letter – part of an effort first started by Pomona College – supports the continuation and expansion of DACA and urges leaders to do so as well.

“This is both a moral imperative and a national necessity,” the document reads. “America needs talent—and these students, who have been raised and educated in the United States, are already part of our national community. They represent what is best about America, and as scholars and leaders they are essential to the future.”

The University does not require applicants to disclose their immigration status and is “committed to supporting” DACA students, according to its website on undocumented student enrollment. Students and experts say they are concerned about the impact of President-elect Donald Trump’s proposed policies on immigration, like the deportation of all undocumented citizens, on the existing international student body and how it could affect enrollment for those students in future years.