AT&T establishes Center for Indigenous Politics & Policy at GW

AT&T donated $450,000 to GW to establish a politics and policy center dedicated to indigenous learning, according to Indian Country Today Media Network.

The AT&T Center for Indigenous Politics and Policy will be the University’s first center dedicated to indigenous learning, the release said. The gift was made in honor of Native American Heritage Month.

AT&T also sponsors the Native American Political Leadership Program, a full scholarship pre-college program open to Native American high school students.

Ali Eskandarian, the dean of the College of Professional Studies, said in the release that the establishment of the center displays the University’s commitment to diversity.

“We’re excited to establish a unique center in Washington, D.C. to study Native American politics and policy, and we are grateful for AT&T’s support,” Eskandarian said. “This is an important opportunity for the university in its continued commitment to diversity.”

The gift is part of AT&T’s more than $1 million donation to furthering education for Native American students. The company also donated $600,000 to the American Indian College Fund.

Cheryl Crazy Bull, the president and CEO of the American Indian College Fund, said in a release that the support from AT&T will help more students access high school diplomas and post-secondary education.

“American Indians face many unique challenges to getting an education,” she said. “And Native youth experience some of the lowest high school graduation rates nationwide.”