Three people treated for injuries in H Street food truck fire

At least three people were injured after the Falafel Bus food truck caught fire Wednesday afternoon. Sam Hardgrove | Assistant Photo Editor

Updated: Nov. 18, 2016, 10:00 a.m.

Three people were transported to local hospitals after the Falafel Bus food truck went up in flames on H Street Wednesday afternoon.

At least one of the people were critically injured from the fire, D.C. Fire and EMS spokesman Doug Buchanan said. He could not say which hospitals the people were taken to, but added that it’s safe to say that at least one of them was taken to GW Hospital.

D.C. Fire received the call for the fire at 1:59 p.m. and reached the scene at 2:03 p.m., Buchanan said.

“The fire is mostly contained,” he said at around 2:15 p.m. “It will be up to fire investigator in the next couple hours or days to determine the cause of the fire.”

D.C. Fire determined Thursday afternoon that the fire was caused by improper fueling of the generator on-site.

Police closed off H Street to vehicular traffic because of the fire, according to a D.C. alert. University spokeswoman Candace Smith said that buildings near the fire weren’t evacuated, but students were encouraged to use exits that were not near the fire.

Avery Anapol contributed reporting.