Top officials respond to students’ post-election concerns

University President Steven Knapp addressed student concerns following Tuesday's election results. Olivia Anderson | Contributing Photo Editor
University President Steven Knapp addressed student concerns following Tuesday’s election results. Olivia Anderson | Contributing Photo Editor

This post was written by reporter Colleen Grablick.

University President Steven Knapp and Provost Forrest Maltzman addressed students’ concerns and reactions to the election results during the Faculty Senate meeting Friday.

Maltzman said at the meeting that he met with with several students over the past few days who voiced concerns regarding their safety in light of the election of President-elect Donald Trump. Students have held or participated in protests over the course of week, saying that Trump’s rhetoric during his campaign has marginalized minorities.

“It is true that some of our students feel like there is a sort of bullseye on their back,” Maltzman said.

Maltzman said that during times like these, the University must work to maintain its celebration of diversity.

“We do have core values and those values include a commitment to diversity and inclusion, and I think we are a stronger institution because of that,” Maltzman said.

Maltzman added that it was important that faculty have allowed open discussion of the election in their classrooms.

“I think it is really a tribute to our faculty that in a number of our classroom, in a large number of our classrooms, there were discussions about the election that I think students found a very appropriate and healthy forum for expressing some of their concerns,” Maltzman said.

Knapp echoed Maltzman’s statements, and reread his statement which he issued Monday afternoon, urging students to remain respectful and civil during this time. He added that students’ commitment to political activism on campus is an important part of campus life.

“The truth is that our students are engaged in the fact that they want to be politically involved in the process, they really do want to make a difference, and they really do want to make history,” Knapp said.