GW Law School alumnus wins 15th term in Congress

GW Law School alumnus John Duncan won his 15th term in Congress Tuesday. Public domain photo courtesy the United States Congress.

This post was written by reporter Helen Elston.

George Washington University Law School, 1973
Running for reelection in Tennessee’s second district

An alumnus of GW Law School snagged the majority of votes for his congressional seat for the 15th time Tuesday night.

John Duncan Jr. received 75 percent of the votes compared to his Democratic opponent, Stuart Starr, the Knoxville News Sentinel reported.

Duncan, 69, has been the representative of Tennessee’s 2nd district since 1988.

The congressman, who was the only Republican at the primary stage, has never faced any serious or well-funded opposition in his 15 consecutive terms in office.

Duncan told The Hatchet that he would like to restrict federal loans that do not hold their increases to the rate of inflation or lower the loans. He added that university prices should be held steady.

“I am interested in changing two things: healthcare and college tuition,” Duncan said. “With governmental subsidizing of such areas, the cost explodes.”

Duncan has also been involved in many committees and caucuses since his time in office, including vice chairing the Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure since 2013.

Duncan suggested his time at the GW Law School helped his later political career, saying that his position as a State Trial Judge from 1981 to 1988 may have helped him gain political respectability.

“I have nothing but good things to say about my time at George Washington,” he said. “The advantage now is that people can go into politics from any field. in fact, people may have more respect politically if they started outside of politics.”

In late October, Duncan co-sponsored the Obama Bailout Prevention Act alongside Marco Robio, attempting to prevent governments from using taxes to bail out insurance companies he believes were caused by Obamacare.

Duncan is also opposed to Obama’s recent gun law amendments, which will expand the program of background checks, create a more expansive tracking of guns and report more failed attempts of gaining arms.

“Creating more bureaucracy and spending many millions more will not reduce gun violence,” Duncan said.