Four Colonials earn women’s soccer All-Conference honors

Senior forward MacKenzie Cowley celebrates her  game-winning goal against No. 17 Arkansas on Sept. 4. Cowley earned her second consecutive All-Conference First Team nod Wednesday.  Andrew Goodman | Senior Staff Photographer
Senior forward MacKenzie Cowley celebrates her game-winning goal against No. 17 Arkansas on Sept. 4. Cowley earned her second consecutive All-Conference First Team nod Wednesday. Andrew Goodman | Senior Staff Photographer

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Libby Schiller.

Senior forward MacKenzie Cowley has been named to the All-Atlantic 10 First Team, the league announced Wednesday – one of four Colonials to pick up postseason honors this fall.

Both redshirt junior goalkeeper Miranda Horn and senior defender Brooke Bean earned spots on the All-Conference Second Team, and also collected All-Academic honors along with senior midfielder Lina Proska.

Cowley led the Colonials this season with a team-high 10 goals and 21 points. Her 3.37 shots per game and 0.53 goals per game were both sixth-best in A-10. She picks up the top-team nod for the second consecutive year to claim her third career postseason award.

Horn excelled on and off the field this season. The junior led the A-10 with a .884 save percentage and had 84 saves in 2016, en route to a league-best 9 shutouts.

The international affairs major also earned 3.81 GPA and has been a consistent member of the A-10 Commissioner’s Honor Roll and GW Academic Dean’s List, along with Bean and Proska.

Bean started all 19 games this season and, along with Horn, helped make GW’s defense one of best in the A-10 with a league-best 0.71 goals against average. The journalism and mass communications major, who also netted one goal this season, owns a 3.88 GPA.

Proska, who posted six points and two game-winning goals this fall, was the third Colonial to earn All-Academic Honors with a 3.79 GPA. This marks the biology major’s first career postseason honor.

The No. 6-seeded Colonials (10-6-3, 4-3-3 A-10) hope to keep their season alive Thursday at 2 p.m. when they take on No. 3 seed Duquesne in round one of the A-10 Championship in Kingston, R.I.